Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Devastation (Haiti)

I've been back from Haiti for almost two weeks now and I know everyone is due for an update.  It's actually been really hard to gather my thoughts on this trip.  Let alone to try and put it into words.  So many emotions.  So many experiences.  So many thoughts.  To think I actually went into this trip a little cocky, thinking I could handle whatever I saw!  I've been to third world countries.  Many a time.  Calcutta, India.  Villages in Thailand.  Under the bridges in the Philippines.  In a TRASH DUMP in the Philippines for pete's sake!  Villages in India.  Small towns in the mountains of Mexico.  I've seen poverty.  I've experienced the harsh realities of the lives of those who live in third world nations. 

But none of it prepared me for Haiti.  And I think that was largely due to the people...so precious, so open and loving!

First of all, let me say that Haiti is still very much in need of our help.  I was in Jacmel, which is three hours south of Port a Prince and was the second most affected city by the earthquake.  It's very sad that we hear nothing about the devastation in Haiti anymore.  As they are still in the thick of it and will be working--clawing--their way out of it for many years to come.  They are a third world country who experienced a national disaster.  Anyone remember Hurricane Katrina?  The organization I worked for at the time was still taking in teams of young people to LA three years AFTER the hurricane hit.  That's here...in the good ol' USA.  Haiti is going to be tearing down, cleaning up and restoring for many more years than it has taken the people of LA to rebuild.  And I would venture to say that a lot of people in LA would say they still haven't recovered.

Thought I would share just a couple pictures of the reality in a Haitians world.  Don't worry, not every post will be this heavy.  I just had to get this off my chest.  I'll show you the beautiful people, the precious children, their smiles full of love and hope.  They are a strong people.  But they are in need of help...and I'll let you know what you can do...




Went to a tent city one day.  No pictures allowed in there.  6,000 people living in a soccer field.  All in tents, 3-4 families a tent.  Talk about insanity.  People who actually still have land and homes that are standing usually have a tent next to their house anyway and sleep in that.  Their afraid of their home collapsing on them while sleeping...

Craziness.  More coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so deep, but so neccesary to share!
    It made my heart hurt when I saw these pics on your facebook page :(
    You are special for being there and I can only imagine the memories (both good and bad)that you will remember forever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin