In just a few days I head to Panama and the San Blas Islands for a 12 day mission trip. It's been almost a year since I've been out of the country, that's way too long between trips. The past five years or so I've been on four or more a year, so this has been an adjustment.This is also the first trip I've taken in a LONG while that I haven't put together from start to finish, that's been different too. I've been so focused on raising funds and making sure our teens have everything together, I haven't really taken the time to think about the trip and what it will mean for me personally. Thought I would dump my brain out here for a minute or two.
* My heart is missions--from the first moment I picked up The Challenge of Missions by Oswald J. Smith. I remember sitting in my room, my senior year of high school, reading it, tears streaming down my face, knowing that I would go and send as many people as possible.
* I'm a little nervous about what God is going to do in me on this trip. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty intense. But I welcome it, I need it, I'm ready for it.
* Having said that, I'm also really excited about everything that is going to take place, not only in the people we are going to minister to, but in our teenagers and in myself.
* WOW again, I can't believe it's been almost a year since my last trip. I'm ready to have this part of me stirred back up.
* We're going to spend three days on the San Blas Islands. I am STOKED! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to a group of islands. Always. Not for the beach factor (although that will be amazing), just always had a thing for indigenous people groups. People that have never been reached. This is as close as I've gotten so far. Beyond thrilled.
* Couple quotes that have stuck with me over the years from the book I mentioned:
If you've never been on a trip - GO! It will change your life! Not sure how to start? Check out any of these organizations, I've had the privelege of "going" with each of them (or about to "go"), all incredible!
Decision Ministries
Go International
John Smithwick Ministries International
Can't wait to share pictures and experiences when I get back!
* I'm a little nervous about what God is going to do in me on this trip. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty intense. But I welcome it, I need it, I'm ready for it.
* Having said that, I'm also really excited about everything that is going to take place, not only in the people we are going to minister to, but in our teenagers and in myself.
* WOW again, I can't believe it's been almost a year since my last trip. I'm ready to have this part of me stirred back up.
* We're going to spend three days on the San Blas Islands. I am STOKED! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to a group of islands. Always. Not for the beach factor (although that will be amazing), just always had a thing for indigenous people groups. People that have never been reached. This is as close as I've gotten so far. Beyond thrilled.
* Couple quotes that have stuck with me over the years from the book I mentioned:
"You must go or send a substitute." Oswald J Smith
"Sympathy is no substitute for action."
"Christ alone can save the world , but Christ cannot save the world alone."
"Why should anyone here the Gospel twice before everyone has heard it once?" Oswald J Smith
And my favorite:
"Why, then, build on another's foundation?
Go to those who have never heard.
Blaze new trails. Be a pioneer."
* I can't even being to imagine where I would be without my relationship with God. Without the understanding and the revelation of His love for me. Nothing can separate me from His love, it's unconditional. How could I not share that?
* Missionary bios are incredible: Mother Teresa, David Livingstone, John G Lake
"Sympathy is no substitute for action."
"Christ alone can save the world , but Christ cannot save the world alone."
"Why should anyone here the Gospel twice before everyone has heard it once?" Oswald J Smith
And my favorite:
"Why, then, build on another's foundation?
Go to those who have never heard.
Blaze new trails. Be a pioneer."
* I can't even being to imagine where I would be without my relationship with God. Without the understanding and the revelation of His love for me. Nothing can separate me from His love, it's unconditional. How could I not share that?
* Missionary bios are incredible: Mother Teresa, David Livingstone, John G Lake
"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Mark 9:36-38
If you've never been on a trip - GO! It will change your life! Not sure how to start? Check out any of these organizations, I've had the privelege of "going" with each of them (or about to "go"), all incredible!
Decision Ministries
Go International
John Smithwick Ministries International
Can't wait to share pictures and experiences when I get back!
updates
ReplyDelete