Thursday, June 11, 2009

How Interesting Are You?

I listened to a podcast today that really hit home! Joyce Meyer had a guest with her, and they were asking the question “How Interesting Are you?”. After listening to it a few times, rewinding certain parts and taking a few notes, I’d thought I’d share some of it with you...

I never realized what an interesting guy Jesus was. He was interested in people of all types of worlds and He could hold His own in almost any conversation. His stories told of farmers, kings and servants… He had an ability to bring people alive by showing an interest in their world and that connected them to Him. It wasn’t a big effort for Him; it was part of who He was.

Entering someone’s world, showing interest in them, is an act of serving. It’s stopping to realize that whatever you are doing or what you have on your mind at that moment is not more important than the people around you or the person sitting next to you.

Historically, Jesus went into other people’s realm and met them where they were at, wish is what we should do. To the homeless we become like the homeless, to the poor we become like the poor, to the single parent we become like the single parent., to the hurting teenager we become like a hurting teenager. We put ourselves in their shoes and try and see the world from their perspective. Like Paul did. We have to be willing to reach out to others and enter into their world.

"Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!"
(1 Corinthians 9:21-23 MSG)

The world you cannot enter is the world you can’t reach.

There are many worlds within this world (academic, sports, business corporate world, the entertainment world, the scientific world) the world we cannot enter or refuse to enter is the world we can’t reach. There are many spheres of influence in this world that the church has no voice into and no influence. Because we are either intimidated by that world or told to stay away.

So I’ve started to ask myself, one, how interesting am I, really? Two, how often do I enter into someone else's world? And three, what worlds am I surrounded by that I should be entering?

As a disciple of Jesus I want to be like Him, in fact every day I strive to be more like Him. Hearing this today rocked my world a bit, it's given me a lot to think about and even more to act on.

Check out the podcast for yourself on Itunes. There is a whole second part to it that I didn't even get to. This one is entitled How Interesting Are You? and it's on her TV Audio podcast.

2 comments:

  1. I love Joyce Meyer! I will have to go check out her podcast!
    I read Confidant Woman and LOVED it!
    I would totally recommend it if you havent read it already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have that book! It's a good one!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin