Sunday, February 27, 2011

Being missional

I was going through somethings today and found this, I wrote it about 4 years ago...and it's the cry of my heart more than ever before:

Ive been reading they like jesus but not the church by dan kimballvery good book, itll make ya think, go get a copy!

He talks a lot about non-christians views of Christiansit is extremely sobering.  In different interviews, polls he has taken, etc, hes found that most people are open and ready to talk about Jesus.  Their faces light up, they talk about what a good man He was, etc.  But when you ask those same people whose faces lit up at the mention of Jesus, who talk about what a wise man He was and how they want to be like Him, about Christians they said they (christians) took the teachings of Jesus and turned them into dogmatic rules., Christians dont apply the message of love that Jesus gave.  Ouch.

Mahatma Gandhi said, I like your Christ.  I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

All of these things can put us on the defensive.  We can say, well Im not like that or they just dont understand, but isnt that part of our purpose, to help others understand?  Are we so wrapped up in our christian bubble that we arent paying attention to what our habits, lifestyles, conversations, messages, etc are really saying about Jesus?  What are we really portraying to people?  Kimball notes that the longer we are Christians, the fewer non-christian friends we have...isnt it supposed to be just the opposite?  When we first get saved were babies, just learning.  So there are a lot of relationships we have to cut off and environments we just cant be in.  Because they would influence us rather then us influencing them.  The longer we are Christians, the more we grow in our relationship with God, the stronger we become the greater influence we should be on the world around us.  We should be able to have non-christian friends that we can be salt and light to, have relationships with and help influence.  If we arent representing Jesus to otherswho is?  The media?  The guy with the bullhorn on the street corner screaming repent, or go to hell?

You know the sad part about everything those people said about Christians?  Most of them didnt even KNOW a christianits just a mindset that people have.  A few people misrepresent, and all of us are seen the same.  If you think about it, we can tend to do the same thinginstead of pointing fingers and placing blame WE are the ones that are supposed to be walking in LOVE.  Reaching outconcerned about those outside the church and whether or not they are experiencing the abundant life Jesus provided for them. 

So this made me think.  Really think.  What is my life saying?  How am I representing Jesus?  I look at my example, the one who set the bar, Jesus.  He was perfect.  I know my entire life I will be pressing towards that mark.  Constantly being changed, growing, allowing God to get things out of my life and add things to them.  I DESPERATELY want my life to be one that draws people to Gods love.  I want them to experience what a relationship with God is like through my life.  I dont want to misrepresent Him; I think we have enough people doing that already.  And I want to help others accurately portray Him in their own lives.  I think that can only be done by first, having a relationship with God and second, developing relationships with other people, who dont know Him.  Not seeing others as targets or souls per say, but individuals, PEOPLE who God loves dearly.  Who Jesus died for.  I want to take the time to listen to what others believe instead of simply telling them what they should believeshowing them respect instead of instantly condemning them.  In order for others to see Him in me I have to live my life in such a way that His love, mercy, compassion and joy is flowing out of me and surrounding me.  I have to live for him every month, year, weekend and nanosecond.  Whether Im in front of a crowd or at home by myself, whether Im on vacation or sitting in my officeI guess it can seem like such a responsibility, such a heavy load.  But really, Ive decided that its truly a great adventure.  I know in advance that Im not perfect; I know that there will be times that I mess up and fall (thank God for grace).  But I know I will choose to learn from those mistakes instead of making them again and again.  Every day Hell show me new ways to represent Him.  Im sure every day He will show me areas that I need to check up on or have become lax in.  So Im going to be growing constantly.  Changing all the timedefinitely cant grow in God if you arent willing to change!  And willing to hear that sometimes, you just dont know it all and might actually be wrong!  Ha!

For those who dont know Jesus, Christianity isnt normal.  Just like Buddhism isnt normal to usjust like being a muslim is foreign.  So doesnt it seem that the longer we are Christians and the longer we walk with Jesus and understand the grace of God, the more we should desire to see others experience Gods grace as well?  As we mature and get to know Scripture better and get to know Jesus better and are transformed all the more by the Spirit, shouldnt more and more non-christians get to experience those things through relationships with us?  Its not about getting in there and sinning with them but in every situation, relationship and circumstance acting, leading as Jesus would.

At the very beginning of the book Kimball talks about missional (to be missional is more than just to evangelize) churches.  Some of the things he said so put into words what is in my heart, I have to share them!  Who knows, I could start a missional church one day

-       being missional means that the church sees itself as being missionaries, rather than having a missions department, and that we see ourselves as missionaries right where we live
-       being missional means that we see the church not as a place we go only on Sunday, but as something we are throughout the week
-       being missional means we are very much in the world and engaged in culture but are not conforming to the world
-       being missional means we serve our communities, and that we build relationships with people in them, rather than seeing them as evangelistic targets
-       being missional means being all the more dependent on Jesus and the Spirit through prayer, the Scriptures and each other in community.


Four years old...but more my heart than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin