So today I am really missing my Pawpaw. Which, seems a little odd because we didn't have that close of a relationship. Pawpaw wasn't a big talker...he was more the strong and silent type. I remember him as larger that life. He was thick and strong. He poured concrete and took care of the farm. His skin was leathery from years of manual labor in all kinds of weather. Mostly the hot west Texas sun.
I remember spending summers with my Memaw and Pawpaw. Pawpaw would be up and gone long before we tumbled out of bed. Sometimes he would come home for lunch and he was most definitely always there for dinner. As a kid, I loved watching him. He was just such a man to me. Strong. Gruff. Silent. But every once and awhile he would crack a smile and I loved it! It was so fun to hear him laugh or see his face get a teasing grin before he poked fun at someone.
Pawpaw was the pastor of the Assemblies of God church in Anson, TX. He played the guitar, sang and preached...pastor and music minister in one :) First time I ever heard Amazing Grace, Pawpaw sang it. As much as I love my Pawpaw, I know he didn't always get it right, he wasn't perfect. But I know this...he loved God. He knew the word of God, backwards and forwards. I heard him weep with gratitude. I heard the passion in his voice as he gave his messages. I heard him raise his voice, praising God for who He was. I saw the tears that flowed from conviction. He truly had a heart after God.
As we got older it got harder to go to Anson for the summers and Pawpaw was having some health challenges, so he and Memaw would come and spend time with us. I remember hearing them pray for their kids, my aunts and uncles, their grandkids and great-great grandkids. They would call us by name. I remember getting out of bed at night and hearing Pawpaw, when he couldn't sleep, praying in the spirit. And I remember...after heart attacks and strokes had taken most of his mind...Pawpaw turning to me and quoting me verses of the bible that I needed to be reminded of, right in that moment.
What a rich heritage. I am so thankful for the family I was born into. I am incredibly thankful for the time I had with my grandparents. But I have to say I miss summers in Anson and Sundays at their little country church. I miss hearing his loud, booming preaching voice. I miss seeing him at the table when our family gets together. His strength. His presence. But I am grateful that he is in heaven and that I will see him again.
Pawpaw, I miss you. I love you. I'll see you on the other side.
I just read this. So beautifully written! Made me cry as I thought of my grandparents who I will see one day...on the other side.
ReplyDelete