Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
- Helen Keller
- Helen Keller
This may sound odd. But I have come to a realization, one that you probably came to understand a long time ago. I have but one life. The time I spend on this earth is the only time I have to make a difference, to leave a mark, to bring life and change to my surroundings. Just one life. And I want it to count. I don't want to look back and have any regrets or wasted moments.
This summer we took a group of our teenagers on a two-week mission trip to Panama City and the San Blas Islands. I know it is hard to fully grasp what took place by looking at some pictures and reading a few stories or statistics. I know you were not there to hear the laughter or see the tears. I know you did not get to see despondent faces suddenly filled with hope. Or hear the energetic cries of “Si!”, when asked if they wanted to accept Jesus as their Savior. I know you did not get to feel the little hand slip into yours and hold tightly as you walked through an island village. Or see the swollen bellies of the malnourished babies. I know you did not get to see the gratitude on the faces of the Kuna’s, who will have fresh water for the first time in the history of their people.
I know it is difficult to comprehend the difference you have made when you weren’t actually there. You may not have seen, felt, heard or actually experienced any of those things, but, for those of you who prayed for us and helped send us, you played a huge part in them coming to pass.
I believe in the Great Commission with all my heart, I believe it is something that every single person who believes in Jesus Christ has been commissioned to fulfill. Whether they are 15 or 75, whether they are a single mom or the father of four growing children. We are all called to go into the world and make disciples of all nations. I know it is more feasible for some of us to actually step foot on foreign soil than others, but I also know we shouldn’t use our responsibilities, careers or families as excuses.
I read a book (The Challenge of Missions) my senior year of high school that changed my life, one of the quotes I will forever remember is, “Either go or send a substitute” (Oswald J Smith). It is my responsibility to make disciples of all nations, to make sure that this message of hope, love and forgiveness gets to every part of the world. This is why I go. This is why I help send others, by giving to them financially. This is why I pray to the Lord of the harvest, that He would send laborers into His harvest. This is why I say, Here I am Lord, send Me!
You have one life, what are you doing with it?
This summer we took a group of our teenagers on a two-week mission trip to Panama City and the San Blas Islands. I know it is hard to fully grasp what took place by looking at some pictures and reading a few stories or statistics. I know you were not there to hear the laughter or see the tears. I know you did not get to see despondent faces suddenly filled with hope. Or hear the energetic cries of “Si!”, when asked if they wanted to accept Jesus as their Savior. I know you did not get to feel the little hand slip into yours and hold tightly as you walked through an island village. Or see the swollen bellies of the malnourished babies. I know you did not get to see the gratitude on the faces of the Kuna’s, who will have fresh water for the first time in the history of their people.
I know it is difficult to comprehend the difference you have made when you weren’t actually there. You may not have seen, felt, heard or actually experienced any of those things, but, for those of you who prayed for us and helped send us, you played a huge part in them coming to pass.
I believe in the Great Commission with all my heart, I believe it is something that every single person who believes in Jesus Christ has been commissioned to fulfill. Whether they are 15 or 75, whether they are a single mom or the father of four growing children. We are all called to go into the world and make disciples of all nations. I know it is more feasible for some of us to actually step foot on foreign soil than others, but I also know we shouldn’t use our responsibilities, careers or families as excuses.
I read a book (The Challenge of Missions) my senior year of high school that changed my life, one of the quotes I will forever remember is, “Either go or send a substitute” (Oswald J Smith). It is my responsibility to make disciples of all nations, to make sure that this message of hope, love and forgiveness gets to every part of the world. This is why I go. This is why I help send others, by giving to them financially. This is why I pray to the Lord of the harvest, that He would send laborers into His harvest. This is why I say, Here I am Lord, send Me!
You have one life, what are you doing with it?
Very thought provoking! What indeed am I purposefully doing with my life. . . ????
ReplyDeleteDawn J.