"The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what He does for us, not by what we are and what we do for Him."
Romans 12:3
I've read this verse before but really saw it for the first time a few years ago. It brought such freedom as I read it and really began to understand it. I am such a detail-oriented, goal driven person, sometimes I feel like everything is on a checklist. I love the feeling of accomplishment and am always striving to achieve something. Somewhere along the way I started doing that in my relationship with God. I identified what I was doing for Him as who I was instead of seeing myself in Him. After I read this verse I realized...it's not about obtaining something, it's growing in relationship with Someone.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still striving. Still dreaming. Still accomplishing. Still achieving. I've just learned to enjoy the journey and not feel like I'm running a race trying to accomplish all my tasks. OK, OK, maybe I should say...I'm continuing to learn :)
No comments:
Post a Comment